Today, there are numerous different options on the market when it comes to bike lights. While some opt for using lights with rechargeable batteries, those with USB ports and regular batteries need to be replaced when they are out of power.
But some bikers don’t want to use batteries because they are disposable and contribute to the debris in the landfill. This group often looks for other options that will have less impact on the environment.
Alternatives for Bike Lights:
Bike lights or other illumination options are crucial for keeping bikers safe on their path. While many opt to purchase bikes with lights or buy lights to keep their bike illuminated, many opt for using different sources.
One of the issues found with many bike lights is that they have a very small profile and many drivers don’t see them until they are nearly upon them, and they disappear from view just as quickly.
Many cyclists use reflective tape on the frame of the bike, on the spokes, on their helmets, and on their clothing. Some cyclists that don’t bike often in the evening or at night may opt to forgo bike lights and go with reflective tape to keep them safe while cycling on the open roads.
What is Reflective Tape?
Reflective tape is frequently used on items that need to be seen in the dark. A version of reflective tape is used on stop signs so they can be seen at night. Reflective tape garners light and illuminates the object with the tape on it.
Reflective tape or luminescent tapes save and emit light that can be seen both during the night and the day. It is often used to mark floors, gates, DOT vehicles, stop sights, and other traffic signs.
There are many uses for reflective tape. Here are some ways it can be used:
- Machinery, especially on sharp edges and when the machinery is being used.
- Travelers and outdoor enthusiasts often use reflective tape. It is included in many protection kits found in campers, boats, boxes, and other items.
- Emergency vehicles use reflective tape so they can be seen by cars and other vehicles when they are on the roadway.
- City and municipal vehicles, such as busses, snowplows, buses, garbage trucks, and other official vehicles. The reflective tape helps increase visibility for these important vehicles.
- Recreational vehicles can raise the visibility for just about any vehicle but can help motorcyclists, RVs, campers, snowmobiles, scooters, jet skies, and other types of recreational vehicles that may travel frequently at night in dark areas.
- Bikes and motorcycles. Those that ride bikes and motorcycles are automatically at greater risk on the roads because they have less around to protect them. That is why it is critically important to take as many precautions as possible when heading out for a ride. Those that do not use lights should certainly use reflective tape on their bikes, gear, and on their clothing to enhance the ability to see the bikes in dark areas.
Benefits of Using Reflective Tape:
According to Ethermalsolution.com, there are numerous benefits for those using reflective tape for cyclists who opt not to use lights on their bikes. It adheres very securely and holds up well to ongoing use. If the bike is washed or in a rainstorm, it will still adhere to the surface of the bike. it is a semi-permanent solution for cyclists. They don’t need to worry about the tape coming off their bikes until they take it off.
It is a great product at night, especially in dark areas with reduced visibility. As long as there is a light source, the reflective tape will make just about any object visible.
There are many different options when it comes to choosing the best type of reflective tape, so it should be easy to find the one that is most effective for bikes.
The Best Types of Reflective Tape for Cyclists:
Before you buy the first reflective take you see, take the time to review several options to be sure you have the right one for your bike.
Those that want to wear reflective clothing but don’t want to ruin clothing that they wear for other purposes can find clothing with reflective tape already on it from retailers like saferelective.com.
Here are some additional options:
- Niileen Motorcycle and Bike Reflective Tape: This high-quality take comes in a roll so you can apply trips as long as you need them to be. It is durable enough to use on trucks, walls, motorcycles bicycles, and raincoats.
- Trim Bright 2″ x 24″ Red Reflective Tape: This is a durable tape good for visibility at night. It can be used on car bumpers, mailboxes, bikes, helmets, and clothing. It comes on a roll so it can be cut to size.
- M-Wave 3M Scotchlite Reflective Bike Sticker Set: This cute sticker set of smiley faces does double duty. It is cute for young kids yet will keep them protected with reflective tape. It can be added to many different areas of the bike, on the helmet, gloves, or other clothing. The stickers adhere to just about any material and come in five to a set.
- Taihexin 5 Sheets Bicycle Rims Reflective Tape: This is a unique product as it has a very specific purpose, to adhere to the rims of the bike. All you do is remove the tape from the packaging and place it on the bike rims between the spokes. This helps autos and other vehicles see cyclists easier on the road.
- EVEDMOT Reflective Tapes 5 Colors Safety Reflective Warning Stickers: These stickers are not just functional, many use the tape to decorate their bikes. They come in red, blue, green, yellow, and white. They can be used alone or together to make designs that will become reflective when it is dark and come upon a light source.
Don’t take chances with your safety on the road. Stay visible to possible road hazards with lights or reflective tape.